Last week I drove to Maine to photograph a County Lineman, and yes...that Glen Campbell song was in my head the whole way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp_Kakkm6U4
It was six hours up Sunday night, and six-hours back on Monday...and that comes-out to 12 hours of bliss.
Here's what I liked best:
- Speed limit is 70 mph, and there are about 6 cops in the state to enforce it.
- At night, if you drive fast enough up a long hill on the highway, you almost believe that when you crest it, you’ll drive off the edge of the planet.
- The commercial radio stations, they play whatever they want and I heard zero top forty.
- It’s ALMOST Canada
- I rolled down the windows just to see what the air smelled like. It was really good.
- If you go far enough north, there is never high-noon light, just morning and afternoon light.
- Everyone at the Howard Johnson's breakfast counter orders “The usual”
- My usual would be the western omelette, even if it was made by a guy in a Bruins hat.
- Gentleman next to me actually had a wife named Mabel.
- Near the water there's a place to stay called the "Bait's Motel."
- It has an “International” Airport...because there’s a flight to Montreal.